Life didn't stop over the past two weeks, but I found myself increasingly busy. As I had caught up writing about much of the summer events, I figured that it was a good time to catch my breath.
I have been focusing on my back yard lately, which has come a long way, but has a long way to go. Mostly, I have been moving dirt piles around the yard. It is more technical than that, but that is what I tell my kids so I don't get into long, drawn out explanations that I know I will be repeating the next time they ask, which generally averages about every 10 minutes.
Actually, my back yard was left in an extremely uneven condition by the builder. I first rented a large rototiller to soften up soil that was slightly softer than concrete. By the end of the day, I had broken five tines on the machine. It wasn't my intent to abuse the machine. I would be going along just fine and suddenly the whole rototiller would nearly jump off the ground, usually because it hit one of the massive rocks or chunks of concrete that the builder left in the area that is supposed to be soil.
In any event, I have leveled much of the back yard and part of the side yard. It has involved a lot of pickaxing, shoveling and wheelbarrowing, but I am very close to achieving the grade I need in the back yard.
I have also installed the valves for the irrigation system. I am now in the process of laying the pipe for the irrigation. After that I will be able to start laying concrete, digging a hole for the trampoline and planting the plants. I'm getting tired just writing about it. I'll post pictures when there is actually something to show other than just moving dirt.
Standing as A Witness
7 years ago
2 comments:
I can't imagine all the hard work this must be! But you are so good at landscaping. I look forward to the after pictures!
I am so proud of you. I am amazed at your endurance. I know it is hard on your body, but you keep working until it is finished. In the end, the work is superb! This is one of the many things I love about you.
Post a Comment