Thursday, June 5, 2008

Aspen Grove - Day One (June 4, 2008)

The Odyssey was packed, prepped and ready for the six-hour drive to the Waite Family Reunion at Aspen Grove, Utah.

The whole family was stashed in the Odyssey and eager with anticipation for the trip. Actually, nobody was excited to be in the car for half of the day, but the kids were thrilled that we would soon be seeing their cousins. Joseph started with the "how much longer" before we stopped for breakfast in Mesquite, Nevada.

While they got to watch High School Musical 2 and National Treasure, I was privileged to watch sagebrush . . . and yucca . . . and more sagebrush . . . and, wow, a jackrabbit. To be truthful, I was okay with not seeing High School Musical 2 for the fifteenth time. However, it is pretty pathetic that I know most of the songs merely by osmosis. Alright, I'll admit it; I'm really like totally like a huge closet Zac Efron fan! I mean, like totally!

We ran into rain and a small amount of hail north of Beaver, Utah. As we got north of Fillmore, the rain got heavier, until we suddenly ran into a ton of hail on the road, and cars sliding off the road. It was like this for nearly thirty miles.

At times, the slush from the hail was so heavy that it was six inches deep on the road, which created deep ruts that made traction somewhat precarious. The surrounding area was white for as far as we could see. Utah State Police were busy trying taking care of cars that had slidden off the interstate. As we neared Nephi, we saw several snow plows that were starting to try to clear I-15.

Naturally, we had to slow down and take it easy, as road conditions were dicey. Without looking behind me, I took this photo, because I knew what Julene's expression would be. Nearly fifteen years of marriage lends to such expertise. She was so nervous about the road conditions that she didn't even see me turn the camera around on her.

Once she realized what I was doing, her expression changed immediately.

The rain continued all the way up to Aspen Grove. As we made our way from Sundance up the back of Mt. Timpanogos to Aspen Grove, we were treated with some incredible views of the mixture of clouds and mountain. The temperature was a balmy 57 degrees at the time we arrived.

We finally arrived at Aspen Grove, checked in, and got settled in Family Cabin C. We were joined in the cabin by Mom and Dad Waite, the Bezzants, Jonathan and Stephanie's family, Aaron and Carolyn's family, the Meiers and the Gunnersons, for a grand total of 35 people. Nathan and Katie's family, David and Stephen stayed in separate quarters.

For those in the family who had arrived, there was a family photo at the Aspen Lodge.

In keeping with the long and treasured Waite family tradition, the serious photo was followed by the crazy one.

To the best of my knowledge, the Bezzants were the only ones wise enough to request a photo of just their family.

At dinner, Ella volunteered to stay and hold Benjamin while Julene and I ate. She must have the magic touch, as Benjamin was comfortable enough to fall asleep while she held him.

Allyse, Joseph, Joshua, Angelina and Michael made their way to the Arts and Crafts Center to work on some projects after dinner.

In the afternoon, the Aspen Follies were held in the field below the family cabin, but our family had limited participation in those. For the most part, the afternoon was spent getting settled in the cabin. In the evening, there was a program that seemed to be a selection of the worst skits, jokes and stunts from every Scout camp that I have ever attended. Part of my problem was that I had started to come down with a cold the day before, and I was feeling lousy, achy and uncomfortable. I really just wanted to get back to the cabin and relax with the family. After about thirty minutes, I was looking for a baby, anybody's baby, to carry out of the program due to fussiness . . . mine, not the baby's.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I like your blog make over! I don't know how long ago you did it because when I read blogs off of Google Reader I don't actually see your site. So, anyways, I like it!

Just like your previous post, I feel the same way about blogging the Aspen Grove trip. I haven't done it yet either. I'm glad you did. It is nice to be reminded of that fun time with the family... in such close quarters!

Anonymous said...

On that day we had tons of fun!