Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shake, Rattle & Roll

On Tuesday at about 11:47 a.m., I was sitting at my desk when I suddenly became aware that I was moving back and forth. I looked up from the file I was reviewing and noticed my tall plant was gently swaying, as was the heavy door to my office. What followed were rapid moments of recognition, doubt and finally acknowledgment that I was experiencing an earthquake. Almost as soon as that identification was established, the quaking stopped.

I have learned that many Las Vegans did not feel the shocks from the Chino Hills earthquake. However, everyone in my office did. Apparently, even being just five stories high makes quite a difference.

I will never grow accustomed to earthquakes. I have not lived through any violent earthquakes; just mostly the gentle swaying motions. However, there is something so eerie, so unnatural, about seeing cement floors and "solid" walls undulate that it forces me to think about the inevitable and uncomfortable questions regarding stability and what would happen in a real earthquake.

No comments: